Tuesday, August 15, 2006

AFC Half Marathon

I'm sorry that I have to interrupt the sights of San Diego series. But then the AFC Half marathon is just round the corner and deserves some attention. After all i've been training for it since more than a month now :) The marathon begins at 7:00 am on Sunday, August 20 at the Cabrillo National Monument and ends at Balboa Park in downtown San Diego. A total of 6000 people will be participating in the half-marathon. The route is very scenic with great views of Mission Bay. Here is a link which shows the route winding around Mission Bay and then through downtown SD. Make sure that you select G. satellite in the drop down box on the right.

Now to personal targets for the race. Since this is the first marathon I am running (actually that's wrong, I have run a 5K in the Pune International Marathon when I was 12 years old but let's not count that), I have no idea as to how I'll fare. I have done a 15-mile run at a 10 min/mile pace and a couple of 10 milers at 9.2 min/mile. So I am hoping to maintain at least a 9 min/mile pace through the half-marathon. That will get me to a race time of about 1:58:00, which from last years results should put me in the top 2500. Personally I'll be happy if i'm able to get close to a 8.5 min/mile pace or a race time of 1:51:00 which seems pretty challenging at the moment.

On a side note my roommate has promised to treat me to dinner if I manage to break into the top 1000. While the proposition sounds good, chances of this happening are very very bleak :(

3 Comments:

At 7:48 AM, Blogger guyfromblore said...

PD, most importantly make sure you enjoy the run itself. also see if you can get some friends to click some pics of you during the run. those could be memorable :-)
Good Luck!

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger CAR said...

all the very best!

 
At 11:57 PM, Blogger PD said...

Thanks a lot guys !!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home